There's not a whole lot happening in news about sweater and logo changes, but there has been a few new debuts this past week! The Flyers suited up in their new Anniversary Jerseys against a VERY similar color schemed Ducks, on the 20th. Kinda an odd opponent if you ask me... (image via NHL.com)
I really don't understand these... The gold is annoying and distracting, and the template is super generic. They don't exactly scream Flyers to me. The Flyers have been known to wear sleeve length yokes, but this has none of that. If the Flyers got rid of the gold, and made the numbers orange, I could get behind this as an alt... But that's it...
My rating: 4/10
I have to say, that these are much better in action. The gold is a perfect accent, and the grey base is amazing! I also really like how the stripes on the breezers really match the sock and arm stripes. (It also made the lackluster Canuck sweaters look much worse in comparison...)
My rating: 7/10
The Winnipeg Jets also took on the Oilers in the Heritage Classic on Sunday afternoon. The sweaters aren't necessarily new, but the Jets did tweak the throwback to fit the current brand a little bit better...The Oilers also are wearing the orange jersey as a full time alt already, so that one isn't new ...(image via NHL.com)
An absolutely beautiful match-up!!! The Jets, however, looked very close to the Rangers... But there is enough difference to set them apart. The logo has been fantastically updated, with a new Jet in the Red Circle, and a color scheme that matches the Current Jets. The polo-style collars on both jerseys are also fantastic!
My Rating: 10/10 all around!!!!!
Those both look fantastic! Don't forget to submit yours, and don't forget to VOTE!!!!
COTW Oct 14-20 vote (ends Friday @ noon Eastern)
Calgary Flames ReDesign entries (due Friday @ noon Eastern)
On to the Concepts!!!
Alan H.- Miami Hurricanes (NCAA)
Alan imagines the sweaters for the University of Miami (Florida) if the Hurricanes had an NCAA hockey team! And I'm going to cover all three jerseys at the same time, as the alt is just a recoloring of the main jerseys...
- Well you give Miami some much needed originality, especially compared to their "current" (I'm not even sure if they still have it as a club sport) Flyers rip-offs
- These jerseys really do fit and look like one of the most iconic Miami football uniform eras.
- I really like the half and half collars, which turn into the logo at the bottom
- Good execution
- Good job on the little details, like the ACC patch, and the Reebok logo under the collar
- This concept idea has the potential to be overly busy, but you kept it simple and clean, nice job!
- The pants stripes don't really match the rest of the jersey
- The logo on the orange jersey gets a little lost. Maybe try a white and green logo. It work's better on the green jersey though...
- Also I feel like the orange helmet also looks a little out of place.
Lucas D.- Winnipeg Jets; Heritage Classic (NHL)
I'm going to guess a little, and say that Lucas made this as a redesign of the Heritage Classic sweater, and it looks fantastic!
- The striping is much simpler, and doesn't look like the Rangers anymore!
- I really enjoy the update that the Jets made to the old logo, so great choice there!
- I also like the navy and red color scheme.
- The un-italicized numbers look great as well
- No execution errors...other than what I'll mention below...
- Mark Scheifele is not #45, he's #55... Now I know that there are some people who have made concepts with jokes on the back, but I can't see any, unless it's going over my head...
- Scheifele is also the Alternate Captain of the Jets, so he'd need an "A" on his sweater
- I'd also like to see equipment, as the jets had some very nice breezers and gloves for the Heritage Classic
I'm kidding, of course!!! But seriously, that does bring it down a little bit... 8/10
Lucas D.- Calgary Cowboys (NHL what-if, Original 7)Lucas continues his what if Original 7 series, this time with the Calgary Cowboys!
- Good job on choosing the correct name! I'll bet that most people would just put down the name as the Calgary Flames, forgetting that the name "Flames" comes from Atlanta and the Civil War, and doesn't have much to do with Calgary. So way to pay attention there!
- The sweater really feels like just that, a sweater!
- Good logo choice, borrowing the old, simple, WHA Calgary Cowboys logo
- I also would love to see how this uniform would progress to today. I think you should also do that to the rest of your series!
- This isn't necessarily bad, but it's not the best either... This uniform looks like it belongs in the early 1900's, not the 40's and 50's of the Original 6 (Or in this case 7). Your whole series has been this way as well. But I won't take off any points for this, it's just something I noticed.
Justin M.- Alaska Aces (ECHL)
Justin redesigns the Alaska Aces, and brings in a double blue color scheme!
- I like the striping pattern on the home and road, and I like the colored sleeves on the home
- Good choice in adding an Alaska wordmark, even if it doesn't match the road logo.
- I really like the puck shoulder logo on the road and alt.!
- The #OB of the alt looks good
- I do like the tie-down collars on the main set
- Unfortunately the numbers and wordmark font are two hard to read. They look much better filled in like the alt.
- The breezers and gloves look a little too bare.
- I also wish you used the light blue a little more in the home and road...
Well that's all I have for today, see ya next week!!!!